[Psi-devel] windows installer comment
dev.list at mircea.bardac.net
Tue Aug 9 16:07:07 PDT 2005
On Tuesday 09 August 2005 03:59, Hal Rottenberg wrote:
> What do you think of this way, rather than the checkboxes?
* Psi is a highly simple application when it comes to making it run in windows
= you only need to unzip the archive.
* the installer is mostly used by normal users who want a certain degree of
* therefor, I'm going to assume people installing Psi using the installer are
not Windows sysadmins, in the true meaning of this
The current implementation of autostart:
* depending on the rights of the user on the machine, the installer will
automatically set the scope of the shortcuts:
- all users, if user.isAdmin()
- current user, if !user.isAdmin()
* it is presented as ONE checkbox
* given the above assumption that users are not sysadmins (not in the meaning
of "admin rights"), this "thinking" of the installer might be enough, mostly
because the users will be happy if Psi autostarts for their account only - I
believe this is the main reason because nobody complained about this minor
lack of flexibility
* the sysadmins (&& user.isAdmin()) which are preoccupied with the startup
menu entries and don't want Psi to autostart could easily change the startup
* requires one click only
The Filezilla implementation:
* is more intuitive, because it has long text describing the action
* requires one more page in the installer (=one more step)=> +1 click
* requires 2 clicks (=current behaviour clicks +1 click)
* I personally believe the usability of the dropdown implementation is not
very good (skipping the flexibility issue):
- user needs to know that's a dropdown list and he/she has an option there
(the user needs to know that the option is editable)
- "Start manually" is not a great choice of words, when taken next to the
other 2 options. Why so? Because the user can always start manually the
application, even if the app is started automatically by default. A more
correctly phrased option would have been: "Don't start the application
* requires more coding
Autostart is an on/off option and therefore it needs to be a checkbox.
Choosing what kind of autostart a user wants is a single selection option.
When the number of options is very small (2-3) (and there's space),
developers go for horizontal/vertical groups of radio-buttons. Dropdown lists
should be used for >3 options, IMO.
Hmmm.. my flow of thoughts was somehow stopped during this afternoon,
somewhere above the "General comments" section. Tonight (2am), I don't really
remember my planned next arguments pro/against.
Anyhow, I haven't seen reports against the current implementation of autostart
in the installer. I've rarely seen reports on a missing application
functionality: "turning on/off autostart within Psi".
Psi Forums Moderator/Bug Tracker Manager
Psi Windows Installer Maintainer/ArchLinux Package Maintainer
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 189 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : /pipermail/psi-devel-affinix.com/attachments/20050810/4b241abe/attachment.pgp
More information about the Psi-devel-affinix.com