[Psi-devel] Google Desktop Search Plugin for PSI - in development
oivanovski at netcetera.com.mk
Fri Mar 18 04:01:33 PST 2005
Hello Everyone, this is my first post here so bare with me.. :)
I already contacted Hal and volunteered to implement the GDS plugin for
I already studied the GDS SDK and I can freely say that the development
of GDS plugin is completely independent of the Psi chat history storage
The way it works is the (roughly) following:
- GDS offers couple of COM interfaces and few schemas (file types) it
- you send events to GDS of certain schema (media type) to google either
- when the crawler encounters a file type you've registered for (which
is not interesting for us)
- when you want to notify GDS about new content that is not stored as a
file (this is where we plug in)
- there is a event schema for instant messages.
- what PSI needs to do is:
- register with GDS either on installation or after (e.g. when GDS is
installed after psi is installed_
- send events about the the messages already in history (if GDS
isntalled after psi isntalled)
- when a message is received or sent, notify GDS. This is done via COM
and is quite simple.
- GDS caches the events it receives (you also send the content in text
format, possibly with HTML markup) so searches and result display are
completely independant of Psi.
- the event schema fo IM among other properties accepts a 'conversation
id' so I assume GDS will display chats nicely
I will try to add this functionality to Psi and send the patch to
someone by end of next week.
If I have time I will study spothlight too and see if a common interface
can be derived for both.
Ognen Ivanovski oivanovski at netcetera.com.mk
Netcetera Engineering phone +389 2 30 64 532
1000 Skopje, Macedonia fax +389 2 30 79 495
More information about the Psi-devel-affinix.com